Created in 2006, Physicians Indemnity Risk Retention Group (PIRRG) provides the standard professional liability insurance that all those big name insurance companies provide, but with a personal touch. PIRRG brings a physician oriented perspective to the Florida medical malpractice arena because it is physician owned,
operated, and managed.
By providing professional liability insurance service through its physician controlled membership committee, an adequate capital structure, excellent reinsurance, and controlled general expense, PIRRG has what it takes to cultivate a healthy specialty business. The company controls expenses through an enhanced cost-effective structure, saving on broker’s commission, outsourcing limited functions, and employing innovative ways to generate sales.
The Business Model
This insurance product is part of a complete insurance program and plan that is specifically structured to make medical professional liability coverage available and affordable. The following points are essential:
- Selective quality underwriting process overseen by a committee of renowned practitioners from Florida.
- Diversified risk and exposures by insuring physicians from multiple specialties and geographic locations.
- Help manage risk in the doctor’s practice office because mitigating risk and preventing medical claims is a process that must be deliberately managed.
- Require each participating physician to have an ownership interest in the insurance company by making a onetime capital contribution equal to one-third of their premium.
- Use reinsurance to reduce to a manageable level most of the risk inherent in medical malpractice insurance.
Management of the Company
- Robert Cline, MD serves as PIRRG’s Chairperson of the Board of Directors. Dr. Cline is a former President of the Florida Medical Association, a past Vice-Chair of the Florida Board of Medicine, and a founder of PIRRG.
- Kriston Kent, MD was appointed by the prior Governor of the State of Florida to serve as Vice-Chair of the Florida Board of Medicine, is a member of numerous medical professional associations and serves as PIRRG’s President of the Board of Directors.
- J. David Holcomb, MD, Vice President has over 15 years of experience and was the past President of the Florida Society of Facial Plastic Surgeons. Dr. Holcomb is currently the President of the Sarasota County Medical Society, practicing in Sarasota, FL.
- Rajankumar Naik, MD, Treasurer is the past Chairman for the Department of Medicine Clearwater Community and is currently practicing Geriatric Medicine and Internal Medicine, with over 30 years of experience, in Clearwater, FL.
- Steven Adler is PIRRG’s current Chief Executive Officer. Currently, his company provides TPA services to a wide range of clients, including PIRRG. In a practice spanning nearly 35 years, Mr. Adler has been responsible for the development and management of multiple insurance programs dedicated to healthcare providers and is proficient with Risk Retention Groups. Since his appointment, the CEO has commenced constructing a new, cost-conscious, cost-effective and dedicated administrative team including an office manager, a sales manager, and a financial controller.